Wednesday, April 18, 2007

A painless way to share the spirit

I've been wanting to share something that I'd heard about in December that touched me enough to spur me to action.
A best-selling novella by Jason F. Wright called "Christmas Jars," which I admit I haven't read so cannot give details, focuses on the concept of giving anonymously to strangers.
After hearing about these jars this past yuletide season, I bought a small plastic canister that says "Angel Blessings" on it and put it on the kitchen counter.
I have been regularly putting spare change in it, and hope to get my children to do likewise, if they ever have any.
Next Christmas Eve I will give the jar to a needy individual or family. I have many connections in the non-profit sector in our community and will have no trouble finding a recipient.For further information, go to http://www.christmasjars.com.

It probably won't amount to much, unless our financial situation dramatically improves, but I do believe it is the thought that counts.

4 comments:

Lynn said...

What a great idea. Since I am the queen of procrastination, I probably wouldn't get to putting a jar out on the counter until late November, and then I would panic and wonder why there isn't very much money in there. (sigh)

Patti said...

LOL - I love the concept.

Joan said...

What a great idea...I've been wondering what to do with all that spare change Hubby brings home. I'm off to find a jar...

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

we do not give to a church, but like to tithe in our own way. we anonymously give where we see need and it is a lovely thing i think. please keep up with this all year and christmas your gift to yourself will be a wonderful warm feeling unlike any other...

smiles, bee