Saturday, March 31, 2007

Up on the roof

No, I'm not a kill joy.
But what would you do if you saw four young teen-aged boys run through the weeds and bramble in a vacant lot directly across the street from you then jump on a rusty old fire escape that could give way any minute?

I thought I was seeing things. These kids were doing this in broad daylight. Three of them scampered up the rusty fire escape several stories to the roof of an abandoned factory building. The fourth one, who was kinda chubby, followed his friends but didn't bother to do the ladder up to the roof.

Fearing for their safety, I called the cops.
Before the officer arrived, I noticed two of the three roof boys on another roof, down the street a bit. How they got there I don't know. Apparently there is a footbridge, or else the boys are related to Spiderman.
So what did I do? Called the cops again, and was assured an officer was on the way. How did I know the boys weren't thinking of jumping? Unlikely, but who knows? I really didn't want any of them to go splat on the sidewalk or a neighboring rooftop.

The officer arrived, chubby boy came down the rickety fire escape (fortunately it didn't collapse under his weight) and back to the sidewalk to talk to the officer.
Then they walked down the street and next thing I knew the other three were making their way down the fire escape. The officer talked to all four of them, walked back to the patrol car and opened the door. The skinny three slid in back, chubby boy got in the front seat.

I'm guessing no charges against them, but I'm sure their parents weren't too happy when they got a call from the PD to come pick up their sons.

3 comments:

Joan said...

You absolutely did the right thing! Hopefully this will teach them a much deserved lesson and their parents will know to keep a closer eye on them...if that's possible at that age.

Lynn said...

Good for you, for caring enough to make a phone call. It takes a village...

Patti said...

thanks ladies ..