Saturday, July 14, 2007

A truly fine actor

I just discovered what a great actor the late George C. Scott was.
Boy, am I late to this party!

Last night I happened on the 1971 film "The Hospital" on TV and couldn't stop watching it because of Scott's performance. It's a black comedy complete with murder, mystery and romance.
Scott plays a surgeon whose life is coming apart at the seams. He is estranged from his wife and two children. His life is his job, serving as chief of medicine at a New York City teaching hospital.
He drinks heavily and attempts suicide.

The hospital where he practices is also coming apart at the seams. Several staff members are found dead in a short period of time.
British actress Diana Rigg is in the movie. I remember her from her days playing Emma Peel on "The Avengers."

So now that I saw this movie, the next logical step would be to rent another one starring George C. Scott, wouldn't you say?
"Patton" and "Dr. Strangelove" come to mind.

2 comments:

The Curmudgeon said...

Both are excellent movies.

Patti said...

I'll have to see them!