Monday, July 16, 2007

Drawing on talent

On Friday I interviewed a senior citizen who has spent the last 20 years sketching portraits all of the U.S. Presidents and their First Ladies.
Except of course for James Buchanan, who never married. So instead he sketched Buchanan's niece, Harriet. She served as the White House hostess, I later learned.

The framed likenesses, now on public display, were remarkably well done...all in pencil.
For the Presidents, I thought he did a great job with Lincoln, FDR, Eisenhower and 41.
As for the First Ladies, he really captured Eleanor Roosevelt and Nancy Reagan.

Such a gift, to be able to come up with recognizable sketches like that freehand.

Me, I just doodle. ~<~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~>~

4 comments:

Joan said...

Wow...I'm always impressed with artistic skill...probably because I have none. Did the senior citizen say why he decided to do this series of sketches?

Patti said...

a love of American history - his parents were from the old country

the moose buyer said...

I have absolutely no artistic or musical skill whatsoever and truly envy those who do.

Patti said...

MB: I do as well!