Thursday, December 4, 2008

Lantern tours are a fun way to learn local history



Last Friday evening daughter Allegra and I learned some local history as we walked, punched-tin lanterns in hand, around downtown Derby, Ct.
It was a nice evening, quite moderate temperatures for late November. The Derby Historical Society sponsored the Churches by Lantern tour. All of the churches were built in the 19th century.

Our first stop was a Catholic church, St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception, which is beautifully ornate, full of artwork and stained glass.

These lanterns at left stood at the ready on the steps of the church for us to use as we walked about a block to the next location. There were about 30 of us in the group. I wasn't working, so I didn't bring my notebook. Now I'm sorry I didn't.


I was trying to keep the flash off, so as not to disrupt the speakers. I just discovered 'auto-level' so I was able to lighten the sanctuary photo. The architecture and decor were beautiful.
This back-lit statue (below) stands to the right of the altar.

Next stop , Second Congregational Church:

This is in the sanctuary at Second Congregational as seen from the pew we chose. The beautiful pipe organ is a focal point.
These banners add color to the interior, which is painted a pale green.

I think the walls may look more attractive in the daytime, when natural light is filtering through the stained glass windows.
















Next up was Derby United Methodist Church. I used the auto-level on the second picture. The lighting was quite dim in that sanctuary.

Below is the interior of our final stop, Immanuel-St. James Episcopal Church.
In the second photo you can see the shadows that make it seem like there are three crosses on the wall. The rector said the shadows symbolize the three crosses of Calvary.

I am including a photo I took of the beautiful stone church on Veterans' Day, since it is across from the Green where the veterans' services were being held.

This post is about local history. The only problem I see with it is there is no history mentioned. But since I didn't take any notes that evening, that would require research (shudder). Sounds like work. Hope you liked the tour.

4 comments:

Dianne said...

the back lit statue is so beautiful! your shot came out so good!!

the tour sounds like a lot of fun

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

lantern tours? how lovely!

smiles, bee
xxoxoxoxoxooxxo

Helen Bennett Harvey said...

what a beautiful event - and you captured it so nicely! i so have to go next year!

Linda said...

I think this is a great idea for Derby to do, you have some lovely churches in your town. Norwich would do well to start a tour like this as we've got what look to be some nice churches in our area, too.

Don't worry about not throwing in any history - the pictures alone were lovely!