Friday, July 27, 2007

A review of a review

A review I read the other day got me thinking about the end of time. Heavy, huh?
Not just my end of time, the end for all of us who fall under the category of homo sapiens.
In his book, "The World Without Us," Alan Weisman apparently paints a picture of what the world would be like without humanity here. I say apparently because I haven't read the book, just a review.
He talks about how cities and their infrastuctures would quickly fall victim to nature - plants and animals, rain and more. A people-free world would flourish, Weisman says. I don't want to plagiarize and quote directly from the review I read, but it sounds fascinating.
If I had the inclination (time, energy) I would read this tome.

What comes to mind here is a simple phrase, plucked from a long-ago TV commercial for margarine: "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature."

Because we all know who gets "fooled" in the end.


5 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i can tell you for sure my house in podunk would be eaten alive by greenery, kudzu, and spiders in no time! it is a battle!

smiles, bee

Patti said...

Kudzu?

Joan said...

Well...if you look at my lawn at the moment, you'd think we were already in "The World Without Us."

Lynn said...

A world without people does not sound like fun at all.

Patti said...

Joan: natural, eh? the birds must enjoy it.

Lynn: no, not much fun.