Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Can't be a snob and do this job

Recent stories I've had published range from a feature about an English Springer Spaniel who works as a therapy dog to a senior citizen who has sketched all the U.S. Presidents and First Ladies. I've recently covered the grand opening of a farmer's market and a bedding store. And a lot of miscellaneous slices of life in between.

Welcome to my world.

Yesterday I was reading a post buried in a blogger's archival matter and the subject of snobbery reared its ugly head.
I would like to think that even if I were affluent, or semi-affluent, (whatever that is!) I would never be a snob.
A former colleague always said the best way to approach our job is to not have preconceived notions about a subject. We need to try to understand all kinds of people and their occupations and avocations.
I think, at least I hope, I have an open mind.
Sometimes what seem to be the silliest subjects evolve into stories that draw the most plaudits and attention.

My technique is to ask just a few questions, which quickly makes interviewees relax.
When they realize I'm not there to grill them they will inevitably tell me all kinds of tidbits, both on and off the record.
And that can be interesting.

8 comments:

the moose buyer said...

I would just like to be affluent!!!I don't think I would be a snob but I sure would like the opportunity to have money just find out.

Patti said...

It would be nice to feel what it's like!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

so what do you want to know? ha ha

smiles, bee

Lynn said...

I think that even if you won the lottery, that you would continue to be nice, and remember that you are my adopted blog sister...right sis?

Joan said...

From reading your blog, no one would or could ever accuse you of being a snob. I think you truly define the "fair and balanced" requirements of a good journalist!

Patti said...

Bee: I can't even think of a subject that you haven't covered! Haha. You are so forthcoming.

Lynn: Right sis. ;~) Thanks.

Joan: Thank you for the kind words.

the moose buyer said...

Patti, if you are Lynn's new sis then that would make you and Ralph my new cousins.

WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!!!!

Patti said...

thank you, Moosie
;~)

sounds good