Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Vote for him? or her?

It's 5:30 a.m. and I just dropped Kid Two off at a polling place at a school right around the corner to work all day. He has to be there until after 8 p.m. when the polls close.
He's getting a taste of what it's like to have to get up and go to work an an ungodly hour. At least he is getting paid, and the experience will look good on the college applications .

Here in Connecticut we have paper ballots and optical scan voting for the first time. No more curtains, booths and levers. Kid Two will be one of the poll workers available to answer peoples' questions about how to cast their ballots.

I hope the day doesn't drag for him. We've been awake since 3:30 because we were concerned we wouldn't hear the alarm to get him up and out in time. But he's there. Phew. Mission accomplished.

I will be working tonight in a neighboring town, running between the two headquarters getting unofficial vote tallies and reaction comments from the winner and the loser.
Did I mention I don't like Election Day? Maybe next year I'll have a new career and won't have to cover Election Night any more.
On the other hand, I'm aware of the importance of taking our right, really our responsibility, to vote seriously. And I will do so later today.

4 comments:

Lynn said...

I wake up way before the alarm too, when I'm worried about getting somewhere. Is Kid Two ditching school? Or is this part of Leadership?

As far as paper ballots, at least you won't have any 'Chad's hanging around'. lol

Finally, with all your running around today, definitely don't forget to vote!

Patti said...

No school today! So he is sitting there unhappily, unable to do his homework which he had planned to do.

He looked so sad when I went to vote.

Linda said...

I used to work at the polls when I lived in Jewett City (a smaller town north of here) and it was certainly one heck of a long day! I always felt totally out of place, too, because at the time I was in my mid 30's and the youngest one in the room! I hope Kid 2 had some others his own age there!

Patti said...

Linda, they all looked to be over 90. Old biddies.