Saturday, November 3, 2007

All politics is ...

If you thought local (to quote the late Speaker of the House Thomas P. "Tip" O'Neill) when you read that, you win.
I don't know what the prize is, but maybe we can think of something.
I could just have easily titled this post: "Is it Wednesday yet?" because I cannot wait until the municipal elections are over and done with. Even the local officials I have been talking to call it the silly season. It's actually more like the sniping season.
I've been "substituting," kinda like Ralph I suppose, by having to write some pre-election stories. The kind that inevitably get some people fuming. That's because the reporter who would be doing this is on maternity leave.
I didn't sign up for this. I wasn't hired to be a town reporter. I did that many moons ago, in my 20s, and I thought I had paid my dues. Guess not.
With staff reductions and positions not being filled, I turn around and it looks like I'm it.
I don't want to whine, overall the job is great. I know tons of people, have learned about stuff I never would have learned about, been behind the scenes at all kinds of places, etc., etc.

It's been a l-o-n-g week and I am just happy it's Saturday morning and I can sit here and post about it. It's called venting, right?

On a lighter and happier note, I did a story Wednesday (I was still working on it as the trick or treaters were knocking on our door) about an 84-foot Norway spruce that is being prepared to be transported to NYC to become this year's Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center Plaza. Found out mid-afternoon that it's in a yard of a house in a nearby town.
'Twas a last-minute story that ended up being fun.
How was your work week?

6 comments:

Lynn said...

Just wait until next year and the Presidential Elections. yuck! Talk about overkill, misinformation, and too much of it!

All I can say about last week at work is that it's over. Hurrah!

Patti said...

yuck is right! It's definitely overkill.

Joan said...

I try and stay as far away from discussing politics as I can for as long as I can. I'm already tired of all the whoopla surrounding the Presidential elections and we still have a long long way to go.

Oh...and my "work week" consisted of 7 hours of work on Monday. I guess you can sorta call it a "week."

Odat said...

I feel for you! Like joan said I stay far away from discussing politics, life's too short.
And hey that's exciting about the tree!! You get to see it before us...lol.
Peace

Linda said...

All politics is ... annoying!

In my humble opinion even when the local elections are done and over with, we're still going to be looking at a long time of nit-picking, name-calling, overall-bashing on the Presidential election front (which started way, way, way, too early!). They talk about putting a cap on political spending, how about a cap on the campaigning??

My work week wasn't too bad as far as emergencies go but we did our usual amount of lots and lots of transfers from one facility to another. It's getting to be the time of year when lots of people get sick so I suspect things will just get busier and busier as we go.

Oh, and you're most definitely right about us having to meet one of these days!

Patti said...

Joan: I am tired of it too!

Odat: They all start to blur after a while, anyway. Life is too short to talk about all that!!

Linda: Agreed. It is annoying. And we shall meet some day!