Sunday, November 4, 2007

It's a cozy congregation, I guess you could say

Picture this: A good-looking, middle-aged guy who uses a power wheelchair serves communion to a small congregation on a Sunday morning.
Yes, friends, I'm describing Ralph. He's a deacon at our church. Today was his turn and he did just fine.
But having a guy balance, and practically juggle, a silver platter of mini-communion cups filled with grape juice on his lap as he steers the wheelchair down the aisle is rather ludicrous.

He was honored last year to be asked to be a deacon, but it just looks weird. And I for one cannot look, afraid bread may drop off the plate in his lap or juice will spill or something messy like that.
There were no mishaps, nor have there been with him doing it thus far, so I suppose I should not be concerned.

5 comments:

Lynn said...

Even if a mishap occured...so what?

Odat said...

Whatever will be, will be....so they say!
Peace

Christy said...

I think it's beautiful that this man is a Deacon and goes about his duties regardless of his handicap.

Patti said...

Lynn: you're right

Odat: oui, mademoiselle

Christy: I'll tell him

Mimi Lenox said...

Touching story. I agree with Christy.