Friday, October 24, 2008

A bit of New England

Breaking my own rule here by posting a "steeplechase" picture I took today of the First Congregational Church of Derby.
I was going to limit myself to steeples in our town, but this is the church we attend.

I snapped the photo from a side view because the sun was on the building, and the foliage was pretty. Shadows were covering the front.
What I like is the photo makes the circa 1820 church seem like it's in a rural setting, instead of being located on a heavily-traveled state road.

The church was originally gathered in 1677, at a different location. Here's a picture postcard I found online, taken a "few" years back:

That's my glimpse into history for today. Who knows what I will come up with tomorrow?

~
UPDATE ~ to my Creative Photo post question: Duchess Linda wins the bonus points. She spotted my car reflected in the van's windows.

Congratulations. That's it, just congratulations. Sorry, no prizes.

3 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

that looks like the perfect church for a wedding!

smiles, bee
xxoxoxoxxoxoxoxo

Patti said...

yes, Bee, I agree. But we didn't get married there.

Linda said...

What no prizes??? Harumph!

This picture is great, it looks just like a quintessential New England church, especially with the foliage surrounding it. You just can't beat New England for some lovely churches - at least in my own humble New Englander opinion!