Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Share and share alike

A marital blift...that's blog+rift for the uninitiated.

In the past two days Airhead 55 has stolen his loving wife's photos and blog post ideas. I haven't even read the posts, but I know what they are about.

I'm going to pretend he didn't, so I can post my own photos of the Veterans Day service we attended this morning on the Green in Derby, Ct.

Here is a photo I like and I'm not sure which one of us took it. I think I did. Not only do we share a computer, we also share a Canon PowerShot A550.

These American flags were distributed to local schools and organizations during the ceremony, as a way to acknowledge the organizations' patriotism in flying Old Glory on a daily basis.
The flags were among 810 that had flown in a "Field of Heroes" at Bushnell Park in Hartford last June, in honor of Flag Day.


Here you see Ralph watching the program. It was my turn using the camera. Woo hoo!

In the background is the stately Sterling Opera House. It opened in 1889 and was used as a theater until 1945.
After that it served as a City Hall and police station until 1965.



Below is a better view of it.



The historic opera house was the first building in Connecticut to gain a place on the National Register of Historic Places. A few years ago the roof was replaced and the Italian Victorian-style structure is undergoing major renovations. You can see construction workers on the crane.
The photo is a bit slanted because I was standing on a slope. It's hilly around these parts. (that's my excuse anyway)

In the good old days of vaudeville, audiences at the Sterling saw the likes of entertainers ranging from Red Skelton, John Phillip Sousa, and Donald O'Connor to Harry Houdini.
Amelia Earhart addressed a woman's club there in 1936.

And yes, that all was before my time.

Like many others, I hope someday to see the theater restored to its former glory.

3 comments:

Queen-Size funny bone said...

Now now kids, no squabbling....nice photos no matter who took them.

Linda said...

The man has stolen your blog post ideas? The nerve! No wonder his posts have all been so interesting lately - I should've known he thieved them from you!

:-)

Patti said...

Queenie: all in fun. just a blift.

Linda: haha! he is nervy