Saturday, November 15, 2008

History + photography = fun

Taking another trip back to a simpler time...

Welcome to the 18th Century in southern New England.


When Ralph, my mother and I were enjoying ourselves Sunday during an open house I wrote about here at the historic David Humphreys House, headquarters of the Derby Historical Society in Ansonia, Ct. , I tried to get 'artsy' with the camera.

I snapped some pictures through the front windows that look out on Elm Street.
The only problem was there are dark plastic films covering the windows on the inside to prevent the home's contents from getting faded from too much natural light coming in.


This is the Old Town Burying Ground (also referred to as Elm Street Cemetery) directly across the street. Too bad about the telephone pole, huh? I like the street sign on the far left with an arrow that seems to be pointing straight into the graveyard.

And two more cemetery scenes taken through the window ...

Looks like November to me.

Below is my attempt at being artsy! I fiddled with the photo a bit, with our free Paint.NET application. I like the photo, just wish the sign were a bit clearer.



Here is the Humphreys' family crest, hanging over the mantel in the other front room, a parlor of sorts.
This fireplace was not being used on Sunday. A string of orange lights was wrapped around the logs to give the fireplace a bit of a warm glow. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of that.

I liked this autumn grouping of colorful gourds and squash that was displayed atop an old trunk.

I sat next to it for awhile to enjoy some classical music being played by a docent at the house, who is a senior in high school this year. He is an accomplished pianist; we've heard him play many times before, at school concerts and piano recitals our children also were a part of in years past. I just don't know if he wants me to post his photo, so I won't.

I have still more photos of our visit, but I hope you enjoyed those that I've posted today.

6 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

sounds like a wonderful fun day to me!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Linda said...

Great shots and you're right - it most definitely looks like November here in our neck of the woods.

I hate the fact that there are telephone poles and wires all over the place near historic places and I can't seem to get a decent shot without some of them in them. Argh! I need to learn how to use PhotoShop so I can try to take some of them out but that's over my head for now!

Patti said...

Bee: it is a fun place to visit

Duchess Linda: thanks, I take that as a major compliment coming from a photographer like yourself!

Michele said...

Gosh, there's obviously some fantastic information and history here. Great photography. What a neat post! Thoroughly enjoyed this. Looking forward to more!

Joan said...

Thanks for the great photos. One of the things I missed most about leaving New York as a teenager was our weekend family trips to historic places in the Northeast.

Mimi Lenox said...

I saw a ghost in those trees!!!

I'll just be leavin' now.