Saturday, November 22, 2008

100 years young

That may be a cliche, but it is the first thing that popped into my head after I met a centenarian Friday.
Jean is amazingly spry with a wonderful memory. She will turn 100 on Nov. 30 and our local senior center gave her a party, which I covered for the newspaper.

She was born in Aberdeen, Scotland and came to the United States with her family when she was three years old.

Her only surviving son was on hand to thank members of the senior center for the "companionship and friendship" shown to his mother over the 40 years that she has been a member.

She has taken many trips with the center, and still plays bingo there on a regular basis.

If you were to guess, you would say she was in her early 80s. It was hard to believe she was born in 1908.

When I got to the party, she was the only person in the room, besides the speaker, who was standing. She walks unassisted and, from what I was told, never complains.

I wish this lovely great-grandmother health and happiness as she celebrates a major milestone.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I love to hear stories like this as I figure there is no way that I am ever going to hit 100 but it's so nice to hear about those that do.

I can only imagine the tales that this grandmother could tell! Lord love her!

Queen-Size funny bone said...

Gee, I cannot imagine living so long.