Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Ruby Tuesday * bear with me

This may not be the most artistic Ruby Tuesday post I've ever done, but bear with me.
I didn't have a ruby photo this week to post, until this afternoon when I went to a newly-relocated thrift shop. The shop is not set up yet, but this red bear seems happy to have a carton on which to rest.
The Stars and Stripes Thrift Shoppe is run by a non-profit organization, No Vet Left Behind, Inc. that helps needy veterans. The organization provides them with the basics, everything from clothing and blankets to food, as well as with support in navigating the bureaucracy of the Department of Veterans Affairs.
This bear is sitting in their store window, and there was glare when I took the photo. I did what I could.

I urge you to check out the non-profit organization here. Founders Mary and George Porter of Derby, Ct. are both Army veterans who want to do what they can to help other vets.
Mary Porter told me there are 5,000 homeless veterans in Connecticut. That number sounds unbelievably high. But she knows whereof she speaks.

She is dedicated to helping them in any way she can, and for that I commend her.

Visit our hostess, Mary T, The Teach, at Work of the Poet, to see many more photos featuring a little or a lot of red.


11 comments:

Linda said...

I think that this is the perfect Ruby Tuesday post as it not only gives one the red photo required but also tells about the patriotic RED, white, and blue of those running the thrift shop! An excellent combination here, Princess!

maryt/theteach said...

Patti, I just love that bear with the gold heart! Can you e-mail with the address of that Thrift shop? I'd love to visit... I don't think Derby is that far away from me in Whitestone, NY...is it? I'd like to help veterans - my nephew is one. :)

BTW all those ducks and geese ran toward me when I got out of my car... I felt so bad I didn't have any bread for them...:(

Leora said...

Now there is one sweet red bear!

Marites said...

The bear is perfect for RT! I hope that thrift shop will have more visitors in the coming days so they can help more.happy RT!

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

Wonderful Ruby Tuesday Post & a Great ruby Bear Pic !
Blessings,
~Myrna

CrAzY Working Mom said...

It's a beautiful bear and what a brilliant idea for a shop! Great job on this one, Patti!

RW said...

Nice RT shot Patti! Sorry I haven't been by, the offline thing and all. :)

Carletta said...

Great Ruby that ties in super well for Valentine's Day!
I always like to check out the kind of thrift store I'm giving too. This one sounds terrific.
Have a great rest of your week Patti!

Anonymous said...

A very cute red bear even though the color is rather unusual!

Felisol said...

Great bear for the Ruby Tuesday, and even greater organization behind.
I get mad when I read about poor treatment of veterans.
They sure have been through hell to serve their country.
I thank they are badly rewarded.
5000 homeless, oh, my.
Oh,my God!

Jim said...

Hi Patti, Happy RT (late)! Your cute little red bear could be friends with my little tan GET WELL bear.
..