Wednesday, June 20, 2007

And some more coolness

So Saturday Ralph and I went to watch a video shoot featuring a local 17-year old girl who was making a hip-hop video at the high school.
We had no idea we were about to meet one extremely cool dude ~Thelonious Sphere Monk Jr., a renowned R&B and jazz musician. Probably one of the coolest people either of us had ever met. Although a long time ago I had met Richie Havens and B.B. King, and they were both cool.

He is the son of the late jazz legend Thelonious Monk and he enjoys finding and promoting young talent.
He was a great guy to talk to about music, and the music business, and life.
Ralph and I asked him questions about the industry and he was more than happy to chat with us.
I even asked him what the difference between rap and hip-hop is. (I don't listen to either one, and neither do my kids).

Monk said there is more music in hip-hop than rap.
Yeah, we're bad.

3 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

you're bad!

you're also TAGGED!

smiles, bee

Lynn said...

I tagged you, but then had to edit my post because the Empress Bee tagged you first (boo hoo). You and Homer move in interesting circles...from Pink Floyd to Thelonious Monk Jr. Thanks for the explanation on the differences between hip-hop and rap.

Patti said...

Tagged!!!!!!!

I don't know enuf people!!!!!!