Friday, March 5, 2010

Welcome to the capital city

of the Nutmeg State
This sign greets you as you exit the highway. The thing in the left-hand corner is part of the van.
I snapped this Saturday through the windshield as Ralph was driving us to the University of Hartford. I was happy that it's not too blurry.

In the background you can see the shiny dome of our state Capitol. I wonder if it's real gold?

This is why we were on our way to Hartford: to see daughter Allegra playing in the pep band! She is the flutist on the left. Our son plays trumpet but he was busy with another activity with the college TV station, so we didn't see him.
Before the game, which the undefeated women's team won by the way, we were treated to lunch for donors. We can't afford the tuition (read student loans, parent loans, scholarships and grants) but at least we can make a small donation to support the university. This is the second annual lunch and we had fun.
We had another chance to chat briefly with the university president. Allegra was in a history class he taught last year, and he told us she is a very good student. Proud parents we are!

This is about half the band. I took this from a distance and had to zoom in on daughter and crop. Sorry to the kids I cut out. But they won't be reading this so it's OK.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never been IN Hartford, but I have driven PAST Hartford quite often! The Capital Dome is probably real gold if it was commissioned by a politician for a politician, otherwise probably not!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i'd bet that's real gold. georgia's capital dome is real gold, it's a beauty too! from georgia gold.

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Linda said...

I was thinking of you and Ralph the other day as I was driving into Hartford on my return trip and saw the sign for the University of Hartford. I was also thinking how lucky you are to be able to take passenger pictures as I always see so many neat things that I can't take pictures of because I'm driving!

As for the dome, yep - it's real gold leaf; I did a post about it once and I'm pretty sure I mentioned the thickness but darned if I can remember now what it was!