Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Carpe diem, tempus fugit

~ I actually enjoyed learning Latin in high school. I took two years of it on the recommendation of my father, who was a Latin scholar as a teen. ~

Ralph and I went to a wake last evening for the elderly mother of a friend of ours. It was really not a sad occasion. It developed into a rather boisterous gathering of family and long-lost neighbors reminiscing and talking, clearly happy to see each other and reconnect after many years had passed.

Yesterday was also the celebration of "Read Across America," an initiative aimed at inspiring children to develop a lifelong love of reading. The event is marked in schools each year on or around the anniversary of the birth of the late children's author Theodor Geisel, also known as Dr. Seuss, who died in 1991.

Seuss also had things to say about how time just slips through our fingers. I found this quote from him.

How did it get so late so soon?
It's night before it's afternoon.
December is here before it's June.
My goodness how the time has flewn.
How did it get so late so soon?
~Dr. Seuss

I can't answer that, can you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I took 1 year of Latin. I enjoyed it, but hated conjugating verbs. I also took 1 year of French and 1 year of Spanish. In hindsight, I wish I had taken 3 years of Spanish, since it seems to be our first language now. Who knew?