Saturday, August 2, 2008

Plentiful perennials



Whoever planted this lovely flower garden in the backyard of the house my mother has been renting certainly knew what they were doing.


As soon as one kind of flower wilts and dies, another equally colorful one comes along to take its place. The timing is extraordinary.
So far it seems there is not a day during the spring or summer when there is nothing in bloom.


It started in late April, when the forsythia bushes bloomed. They were surrounded by white and yellow daffodils, patches of tulips, and later some lilac and rhododendron bushes.


Since my mother will be moving out at the end of August, I took some pictures yesterday afternoon for posterity. She said she knows she'll miss looking out the window at the beautiful backyard. And who could blame her?


Lilies, Black-eyed Susans, lavender blooms, deep blue hydrangea...





Gorgeous, and blog-worthy~

6 comments:

Michele said...

WOW... no kidding! Someone obviously had a green thumb! My goodness. I'd want to dig 'em all up and take them with me. Sheesh, those are beautiful. Hopefully they will be well taken care of in the next years to come. They are amazing.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

we had a house in maryland like that once. blooms all year long! it was wonderful!

smiles, bee
xxxoxoxoxooxo

Linda said...

That is so nice that it blooms like that all year through. I'm definitely not smart enough to know how to do something like that and make it look so lovely.

I guess this garden is one of those silver linings behind the cloud of your Mom's house being lost.

Michael C said...

Wow, that is definitely a beautiful sight to be able to see everyday, but then my backyard is dirt ;-)

Odat said...

Beautiful! Wish my garden looked like that!!!
Peace

Patti said...

Michele: Isn't it a beautiful setting?

Bee: sounds wonderful

Linda: definitely a silver lining

Michael: Dirt? sorry to read that - and welcome back

Odat: me too! I've got a long way to go.