Thursday, October 11, 2007

What a wonderful man

I met the 98-year-old World War II veteran I wrote about Tuesday in person yesterday. He is indeed a quipster who knows how to work a room...
He had led me to believe on the phone that only a few people would be at City Hall to honor him. Try close to 100, mostly friends, since his family is quite small.
He teased me about stuff, then asked sweetly, "Do you still love me?" with a twinkle in his eye. I hesitated. He didn't like the fact I hesitated.
Everyone laughed as he cracked joke after joke. He said people are living longer today, and if you are miserable you will live longer yet.
I stayed longer than I had planned. He had a line of well-wishers waiting to say hello to him and he asked me to stay so we could chat a bit.
What could I say? Certainly not no. That's not a time to be in a rush.

At the end of the party, he asked me again if I still loved him.
You can guess my response.

11 comments:

Odat said...

Sounds like he's quite a pip....bless him tho...
Peace

Patti said...

O - yes he is a Pip

Christy said...

Haha he sounds like such a flirt! I think it's great that he has so much spunk!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

wow that sounds like a blast! so glad you told us about it...

smiles, bee

Casdok said...

How lovely!

the moose buyer said...

he sounds absolutely wonderful with a great outlook on life. He is the kind of man you will remember for a very long time.

Patti said...

Christy: He is a spunky flirt!

Bee: It was fun.

Casdok: He is a classy guy.

Moosie: Memorable, indeed!

Unknown said...

How absolutely lovely, Patti!

I came over from Odat´s blog. Please let me know about your "dream globe" and I´ll do my very best to create it for you. Feel free to email me (lilsanni[at]gmail.com) or leave a comment on my site "Coffee2go".

Patti said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, Sanni. I e-mailed you that I just created a globe...

The Curmudgeon said...

Sounds like he's doing great at 98....

Patti said...

Mr. Curm - he is doing great!