Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Time passages

Yesterday I had what I thought was going to be a brief phone call with a man who is turning 98 tomorrow. As it turned out, the conversation wasn't brief. He is quite the talker.
What amazed me was at that age he was lucid, and he could even hear what I was saying to him.
It was inspiring!
He went into the Navy during World War II at age 35 and recently attended a reunion of his shipmates, all much younger than he. They were all "18 or 19" at the time, he told me. He was full of stories.

Tomorrow our mayor is honoring him on his birthday with a ceremony and refreshments at City Hall. This youngster served on several commissions in the past and is the oldest World War II veteran in our city.
I'm looking forward to meeting him tomorrow.
To be continued...

7 comments:

Odat said...

I love hearing stories like that!
Peace

RW said...

Wow I hope that I can make it to that age cant wait to hear the rest!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

wow, that is really something!

smiles, bee

Casdok said...

98 Wow!!

Patti said...

Odat: I'm ready to meet him today...

Roger: I hope I make it too

Bee and Casdok: yes, he is a "wow"

Christy said...

Very interesting, I'm looking for to hearing more!

the moose buyer said...

let us know how your meeting with him went. I hope the city thing went great for this wonderful person. Someone who lives that long plus served in the war deserves a lot of credit.