Monday, September 29, 2008

Back to blogging

It's Monday morning and I'm trying to fire up my blogging skills.
With the exception of participating yesterday in Roger's Creative Photography contest by posting a photo of my (our) cat, I haven't posted since Thursday.
Oh, the sadness. Oh, the incredible laziness. Oh, the burning eyeballs from using the computer all day for work and not feeling much like using it in the evening.
~ ~ ~
As for my job for the newspaper, most days I write the upbeat stories. Thursday wasn't one of those days.
I was assigned to write about an Army lieutenant from Connecticut who was killed on patrol Tuesday in Balad, Iraq.
He was just 26, with a bright future ahead. He graduated with a degree in government from George Mason University.
Sadly, he left behind a twin brother, who works as a border patrol agent in Arizona. Their father is deceased.
This hero will be buried with full military honors in Arlington National Cemetery.
My heartfelt thoughts go out to his brother, his mother, and all of his family and friends.

3 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

oh how tragic for that loss! i know that must have been so hard to write honey...

hugs, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Linda said...

I heard about this on the local news and, of course, when we put our flag to half-staff at work.

Such a sad ending for such a young man with a promising life ahead of him. I'm sure, though, that you did a wonderful write-up and that it all came from the heart. I'm sure his family will appreciate that more than you will ever know.

Patti said...

Bee: it was difficult

Linda: thank you for your kind words.

It's not about me, really, but I had to write another story about him yesterday.