Thursday, October 25, 2007

Substitute life

OK, time to get serious here. No more Halloween riddles. Today's topic is substitute teaching and the courage it takes.
Just ask Ralph. He has survived five days of it, and was all ready this morning for the automated call to go back in, and the phone didn't ring.
Relieved? Maybe. But he feels now that the kids in music class will be wondering where he is, since he played some select CDs yesterday ("Rubber Soul" was one, Brian Setzer another) and today was ready to ask them to "deconstruct" a rap song they told him they liked.
He looked up the lyrics last night and was prepared to work with them on something in which they had expressed interest.

* Update: Ralph called the employment agency after I wrote this. There was an assignment at the high school. Kid Two groaned...too bad, huh? Dad's at his school.
Ralph is teaching science today. Well, not teaching, but babysitting science classes. More later.

7 comments:

Lynn said...

That's what he gets for being prepared. The good news is that at some point he will be asked to sub in music again, and he'll be ready!

Patti said...

Lynn: this is true.

Casdok said...

Must be really hard being a sub teacher.

Joan said...

Your hubby is one tough dude! I'm in awe of his stick-to-it-iveness.

Oh, I've left you a little meme on my blog. Have fun!!!

Patti said...

Casdok: I think so. I couldn't do it.

Joan: He's a tough one ;-)

A meme? I'm way behind on doing them. OK...I'll go see

Linda said...

Ralph is a brave, brave man - truly!!

Odat said...

He'll be a pro shortly...and I'm sure he's having a positive influence on some of them..(he just doesn't know it) ;-)
Peace