Friday, October 5, 2007

Humor at serious seminar startles

My job is certainly interesting, if nothing else.
On Wednesday I attended a workshop that dealt with the issue of elder abuse. Unfortunately there must be a lot of it going on out there.
The more famous of the two keynote speakers was Henry C. Lee, the world-renowned forensic scientist. He's a truly brilliant man, seen as one of the top experts in his field.
I've watched him on TV and read about him and the high-profile cases he has been involved with for years (i.e. O.J. Simpson, JonBenet Ramsey, Laci Peterson, among others). Little did I know that he is hysterically funny.
Lee regaled the audience of health care, social work and law enforcement professionals (about 175 people) with stories about his experiences. He had everyone laughing out loud. Many of us were startled at first at his humor. He knows how to keep his audience interested.

If he ever retires as a forensic scientist, investigator, defense and prosecution consultant as well as chief emeritus of the Connecticut State Police (a job that pays $1 a year, he said) Lee definitely has a future in stand-up comedy.

7 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

glad you got to hear him. sounds really good too!

smiles, bee

The Curmudgeon said...

Never heard him speak but the best speakers often seem to work humor into the presentation....

Patti said...

Bee: Thanks, it really was!

Curmudgeon, sir: I agree, humor always grabs the audience.

Lynn said...

It's great that he was able to bring humor into such a serious topic, otherwise much of the audience might have fallen asleep. I'd love to know what he had to say.

Joan said...

Ah Dr. Lee...I'm glad to read that he might have talent for a new occupation...stand-up comic. At the Phil Spector trial here in L.A., Dr. Lee's reputation suffered a serious setback after being accused of stealing the victims' broken fingernail. Was it ever proven...not to my knowledge but I believe the judge admonished him so I'm thinking that there might be some credence to the charge. Oh well...

Odat said...

How cool!
Peace

Patti said...

Lynn: I could post the part I thought was funny...it has already been published in the paper

Joan: I heard that about the Phil Spector trial.

Odat: yes, it was!