Saturday, October 20, 2007

A monstrously good time

I visited a Haunted House for work yesterday. I was doing a story for next week that, surprise, surprise, has a Halloween theme.
My tour through a cob-webby jail cell, mad scientist's lab, and a deli where what was being sliced was, well, human, was in the daytime.
The lights were on, and there was a crew of carpenters, electricians and other workers there feverishly putting the finishing touches on the house.
There were no spine-tingling sound effects playing to spook the molasses out of a person. And no costumed people popping out to do the same.
That was my kind of Haunted House.

My idea of Halloween celebrating is more along the lines of pumpkin decorating, pumpkin carving and bobbing for apples. Does anyone really bob for apples anymore? Probably just virtual apples online or something.
I guess just writing about the horrors that await paying visitors there was enough to give me a nightmare. That's why I am wide awake and posting instead of sleeping.

9 comments:

Christy said...

Oh man I love haunted houses at night, in the dark, with the spooky sounds!

Hmmm though I don't think I'd enjoy that deli. Eck!

Joan said...

I just love haunted houses. Years ago I worked in a library next to the local Sheriff's station. Every October, they would ship out any prisoners and convert the building to a haunted jail. It was creepy and scary and very dark. This popular community tradition continues each year and draws huge numbers of visitors.

Open Grove Claudia said...

I've heard that bobbing for apples is banned because of the "germ" factor. Sheez.

I'm too wimpy for haunted houses - or creative! ;) I have bad nightmares afterward so haunted houses are banned. You are very brave.

Odat said...

I used to love to go to Haunted Houses...there was a great one in Long Branch NJ I went to....was very creepy...then one night it burned to the ground!!! (Twilight Zone music here).

Peace

Patti said...

Christy and Joan: I do not like haunted houses. eeeeeeek

OPG: I'm also wimpy

Odat: that's a spooky thing

The Curmudgeon said...

I'm with you: Haunted houses are best viewed with all the lights on and all the curtains pulled back. They are even better viewed from a distance. A long distance.

Other than that, though, I like 'em fine.

Patti said...

The Curm: I don't care to be scared. Real life is scary enough.

the moose buyer said...

Patti, when I was a kid, we had a real haunted house in the country. It was an old house surrounded by thorny berry bushes and all the kids convinced ourselved it was haunted. It was fun to see who had the guts to walk up to the door. Maybe I will do a blog on it.

Patti said...

Moosie: you should! childhood memory blogs are fun.