Friday, April 20, 2007

Off to the library


I'm dedicating this post to our recently-retired librarian friend, Joan.
I wanted her to see our beautiful library. It was built in the early 1900s, in part with a $3,400 donation from industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. It was one of 2,509 libraries his vast fortune helped establish throughout the English-speaking world, with 1,679 of them built in the United States.
OK kids, today's history lesson is over.
My husband referred to the library on his blog yesterday and I decided to show it off.
Photo credit: Kathi Gordon

8 comments:

Lynn said...

That's a library? I thought it was a "Stately Mansion". If it is as beautiful on the inside (and Homer's post seemed to indicate that it was) I certainly would want to spend lots of time there!

Joan said...

I am most honored to have a post dedicated to me so thank you! And a big thanks for the photo although now I am even more envious of the library staff who get to work there. Most of our libraries look like cookie-cuttered square brick or stucco boxes with no character whatsoever.

Patti said...

glad you guys got to see a piece of southern CT.!

sari said...

It's beautiful!

Patti said...

thanks, Sari

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

it is lovely. i love libraries! thanks for sharing (and commenting!)

smiles, bee

allegra said...

i know that library very well!

Patti said...

Allegra, do you really?