Friday, December 7, 2007

What would you do?

So a bit of a moral dilemma has arisen. Well, I know what to do but I am tempted to do something evil.
For money.
:-)
I brought my mother to the grocery store this morning. When I got out of my car, what to my wondrous eyes did appear in the parking lot but a diamond ring in a 14K gold setting. A tiny, heart-shaped diamond that looks like a pre-engagement ring.

I took it home with me. It's on my pinky. I'm going to put it in my jewelry cleaner solution and bring it back. To the customer service desk. Really. Then if the young girl who lost it comes in looking for it, it will be there for her.
I'm nice, I know.

UPDATE: I just cleaned the ring. It's sparkly.

7 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

how nice! and the same thing happened to me once a few years ago. it was a tiny chip of a diamond, but lovely nonetheless. it was outside the condo on the ground so it had to have been from one of the people in here because it is in a gated area. i put up a notice. nothing. i got one call and asked the woman to describe the ring she supposedly lose and she could not! nice neighbor, huh? anyway the owner never did turn up so i finally gave it to youngest granddaughter about a year later. i figured that was enough time.

anyway, my point is, keep the ring and turn in the information that you HAVE it and wait for the owner that knows what it looks like to appear. if you just turn it in you have no way of knowing the owner got it back...

smiles, bee

Lynn said...

I'm with Bee on this one. I would inform the store that you found a ring in the parking lot, give them your phone number, and that's it. If you turn it into the store, someone who is not as nice as you are, may just take it for themselves. Also look around for signs that may be posted by the person who lost the ring.

Patti said...

Bee: I like the advice - keep the ring and turn in the information.

Lynn: Yep, I agree. Keep the ring at home and just give them my phone number. Thanks ~

Linda said...

I agree with both Bee and Lynn and I hope that the owner does eventually come forth but if not, you did the right thing and you can keep the ring with a free conscience.

the moose buyer said...

Patti, Bee's idea is a great one. If the loser can describe it then it can be claimed. If not then it was meant for you to have it.

Odat said...

That's good luck!!!
And I was going to say the same thing as Bee...Just give them your number and let them get the ring back from you!
Peace

Patti said...

Linda: yes, I want a free conscience! I couldn't live with myself.

Moosie: welcome back. I agree Bee is on the right track.

Odat: oooh is it good luck? There were three pennies near it too. That means extra good luck I guess.