Friday, December 21, 2007

Another side of life

This afternoon I attended the annual Christmas food and gift distribution at a nearby agency, something I have done for many years now. The executive director said she has seen a sharp increase in the number of needy families this year.
I can't express my opinion in stories I write for the paper, but here I can say this organization does a wonderful job, and appears to get by on a shoestring budget.
I have no reason to doubt what workers there tell me. All of the stories are sad ones, and I won't go into them. Many of the problems surrounding the more than 150 families served this holiday season seem to stem from job loss and major health issues.

There was one client, who I didn't interview, who sticks out in my mind. That's because I was told this man, who appeared to be about 40, lives in his pickup truck with his two teen-aged sons. It is quite cold around here at night. There's snow on the ground. How do they manage to sleep? Apparently they don't want to live in a homeless shelter.

Now if hearing something like that doesn't put things in perspective, I don't know what does.

6 comments:

Casdok said...

It certainly does.

slow panic said...

And we need perspective this time of year....

Joan said...

I only wish putting things in perspective was something we all did 365 days a year.

the moose buyer said...

Charity and volunteering is something we should be doing all year. Reading this blog words "there but for the grace of God go I" comes to mind and I am very grateful for my family and friends.

Linda said...

That does truly put things in perspective and rather whining about the electric and heating bill I have to pay, I really should be glad that I have one and am not living in my car.

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

Thank you. Human touch.