Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Dec. 7, 1941 remembered

I joined a small group of veterans and other residents who gathered last Friday to commemorate the 66th anniversary of the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor in Hawaii.
I was there covering the brief ceremony for the newspaper, as I have in the past. I'd like to think if I had a different job I would have been there anyway.
We stood in the bitter cold (the folding chairs were way too cold to sit on!) to hear a Vietnam veteran speak about remembering what happened at Pearl Harbor and about supporting our troops, even if we don't support the war in Iraq.
Several veterans I have gotten to know invited me to join them for lunch. I wasn't going to, but they insisted. It was an honor to spend a short time with these veterans of World War II, the Korean War and Vietnam.
And at a lunch like that, that's when the real stories come out!

6 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

oh now i would have loved that!

smiles, bee

Patti said...

I was thinking of you when I wrote this post, Bee

Lynn said...

Isn't it amazing the stories you can hear if you take the time to listen??? It sounds like a wonderful experience for you.

Mimi Lenox said...

Patti the Writer strikes again. Crank up that pen, girl.

Patti said...

Lynn: it was nice

Mimi: I'll try

Odat said...

So write the real stories!!!
;-)
That must have been awesome.
Peace