Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Some need to learn patience

This morning when I was driving home from the store I slowed down as I saw a mini-school bus, the one that transports children with special needs, with its yellow caution lights on. I stopped as it neared a house.

The impatient jerk in the pickup behind me didn't care for my caution. He gave me one of those motions with his hand, like what's going on? What are you stopping for?
The red lights came on as the bus stopped and pulled to the curb. From the house emerged a mother with a small boy who has a disability. He was wearing a helmet (don't know the technical term) and needed steadying as they went down three steps.
It looked like he has cerebral palsy.

You'd think I'd be accustomed to seeing someone with a disability, since Ralph uses a wheelchair. But I am so used to him getting around quite well that it barely registers with me that he is in it.
Seeing that little guy struggling just to get on the mini-bus was a painful reminder of how good we have it in our family.
I only hope the idiot in such a hurry behind me was paying attention.
I'd like to think that he was.

6 comments:

Christy said...

That was a nice post. I hope the guy behind you was paying attention as well.

Patti said...

thank you, Christy. Let's hope.

Odat said...

Some people are only concerned with themselves....Don't let them get to ya! (Bless that little boy!)
Peace

Lynn said...

Nah, I think the guy in the pick up was sitting there contemplating whether or not his should ram your car with his truck. It horrifies me how often people drive through crosswalks when there are students in them, and how many people ignore the speed limit signs around school zones. Yeah for you for being cautious;~)

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i try to think of why he behaved like that. maybe he was on his way to - um - do something important or stuff, maybe, just sayin'...

smiles, bee

the moose buyer said...

Don't you just wish you could have an ink squirter in the back of your car like the Octopus has and you could spray the windshield of rude drivers and drive off before they knew where it came from?????