Monday, November 19, 2007

Thank you

I do appreciate the kind words and prayers my blogging friends have sent our way.
We are truly fortunate to still have my mother with us. A volunteer firefighter saved her life.
I haven't talked to him yet, but I will.
She is still in the hospital recuperating from the smoke inhalation. It has really taken a toll on her, but her spirits were much better today.
I definitely saw progress, and certainly hope to see more tomorrow. This is one of the most traumatic things I've ever gone through, for sure.
And I'm sure it's one of the most, if not the most, difficult thing she has ever lived through.

What I'm not too happy about is the fact the newspaper for which I work is doing a story about the incident for tomorrow. The reporter writing it told me he was focusing on the heroism of the firefighter, who it turns out has never saved anyone before.
And as Ralph said in his blog yesterday, the hero happens to live a mile from my mother, on the same road.
I can't believe this whole scenario is real, but it is.

UPDATE: Just found out she had a mild heart attack when she was rescued so now tomorrow she gets transferred to a bigger hospital and gets a catheter put in.

10 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

oh my gosh. and honey watch her for depression too, i will bet that is next. poor dear.

hugs, bee

Patti said...

thank you, Bee. I will.

Joan said...

Oh Patti...I'm so terribly sorry to read that your mom is suffering even more trauma from her ordeal. Hopefully the doctors will be able to get her stable and on the road to recovery as soon as possible. Here's some {{hugs}} to help you all get through this.

Lynn said...

Oh man...one thing after another. How tough for all of you. ((hugs)) to you and your family. I will hold you all in my prayers.

Casdok said...

Your poor mother and poor you. I hope you are getting good support.

the moose buyer said...

We Moose are still praying for your mom. Like Casdok said, I too hope you can get some emotional support in your community. You and your mom shouldn't go through this alone and like Bee says, depression is possible.

Patti said...

Joan, Lynn, Casdok and Moosie: thank you all so much. I have no news, just waiting for her to be transferred and have the test done..

Linda said...

We transport a lot of people from smaller hospitals to the larger ones for cardiac caths - you might be surprised at the number that go every single day so it's, unfortunately, a more common procedure than it should be.

I sincerely hope that your mother is put into the best care possible and that her surgeon is one of the finest. Truth be told, as hard as it might be to look at it this way, it may have been best that she had this small heart attack as a result of the fire or she may have had a bigger one later on that would have been much more damaging. Obviously there was some blockage there or they wouldn't be doing the cath.

Like Ralph always says, everything happens for a reason and maybe this is all part of that reason.

God bless you all and best wishes.

Mimi Lenox said...

I hope she continues to improve, Patti. And please try to take care of YOU.

Patti said...

Linda and Mimi: thanks to both of you guys