Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Mumbo jumbo

Legalese ... help! Mr. Curmudgeon sir, where are you???

I am looking at a three-page document that my mother is supposed to sign but she is reticent to do so. She said she needs a lawyer.
It is regarding the six-month lease for a house to be paid by her insurance company. I'm tired and it's difficult to decipher. I feel the relocation company is fine, but she is nervous about signing.

UPDATE: She signed the documents and I faxed them back. I talked to the woman again at the relocation company and she made it seem less scary.

7 comments:

Joan said...

I can understand her reticence. Sometimes I think the reason they use legalese is to hide all the exclusions and other negative things they dont want the signer to see. I wish I could help!

the moose buyer said...

I too can understand how your mom feels. Instead of a costly lawyer, however,there is an option but I can't remember what they are called but they are inexpensive legal offices where they give advice, especially to seniors.

Look in the phone book or on the web under free legal advice for your town and please let me know if you find some.

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

It sounds as if it will work out; most things do (easy to say from a distance). i'm sure your guidance and support are helping.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

hope it is all okay now. i know it can be scary...

smiles, bee

Lynn said...

I think that there should be a law that all forms should be in an easy to read format. Throwing legalese at someone when they are in a stressed out state is just unconscionable!

Odat said...

I'm glad to hear tho, that things are moving along....hope it all works out ok.
Peace

Mimi Lenox said...

Good advice here, Patti. I hope all the legal issues get resolved soon.