Sunday, November 11, 2007

* Happy Veterans Day *

I noticed as I was visiting blogs yesterday and today that many bloggers are writing about the importance of observing Veterans Day, which is today.
I am one of those people who believes we should all pause to remember those who served and those who are serving our country in the military today.
Tomorrow, a holiday for schools, banks and some offices, I will cover a program at a nursing home that will honor veterans who live there. A high school administrator/former history teacher will give a talk about Gen. George Patton, and the historical society plans an exhibit with memorabilia from the home front during World War II.
I'm looking forward to it.
This afternoon Ralph and I attended a service at a park on Main Street. There were about 100 people there, many of them veterans, of course.
We heard schoolchildren read contest-winning essays they had penned about what Veterans Day means to them. The senior center chorus performed patriotic songs.
A World War II veteran played Taps, which always lends an air of solemnity to any event.

We're glad we were able to be a part of this important show of respect and recognition to all veterans.

8 comments:

Odat said...

Amen....
I didn't realize it was today...I'm putting up a lil post about it tomorrow.
Peace

Patti said...

O: the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month...

Lynn said...

It sounds like the service at the park was lovely and very patriotic. I will be interested in hearing how the program goes tomorrow.

Patti said...

Lynn: well, then, I will just have to write a post about it.
;-)

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

Somehow I like the original term armistice day; we need more armistices. Incidentally, today is our 12th wedding anniversary (we're both veterans of previous domestic battles).

Patti said...

PK: Hope you had a good anniversary and that no one needed to call a truce

Casdok said...

Lovely post

Patti said...

Casdok: thank you