Sunday, September 23, 2007

Christmas Jar update

It's getting closer every day.
The holiday season is on its way...

In three short months we'll be decking the halls, wrapping presents and trimming the tree. I cannot sing so I didn't mention caroling...but more power to you if you do sing Christmas carols, or even Jingle Bells.

On April 18 I wrote about the idea of starting a Christmas Jar. I did indeed start it, but little did I know that two months later Ralph would get laid off. We have a bit less cash on hand than I had planned. But I want to continue with it.

The jar is in the kitchen and it holds spare change. I just counted the coins and so far there is $8.95 in the jar. Not too much. I may have to wait until Christmas '08 to give it away.

Has anyone else taken up this idea?

8 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

sometimes any amount can make a big difference!

smiles, bee

Linda said...

Just remember what you wrote in April "it's the thought that counts" so even if that $8.95 only becomes $9.95 it's the thought and not the amount.

Lynn said...

I'm with Empress Bee and Linda on this one...any amount will be appreciated. I didn't attempt this jar, although I think that it is truly a wonderful idea. I wonder if it's too late to start now?

Patti said...

Bee, Linda and Lynn - I agree it's the thought that counts.

Odat said...

I did this once while I was married, we had a big old water jar...and kept putting our change into it...it was in the corner of the dining room. Once when relatives were coming to dinner, I rolled the jar down the hallway to move it out of the way and it cracked open!!! So I had no choice but to roll the change up...and came up with over $300.00!!!
We took a nice lil vacation trip.
Peace

Patti said...

Odat: sounds like a lot of coins! I hope to save quite a bit more before I give it to a needy person.

the moose buyer said...

I have a big glass Sparklett water jar (they only use plastic now) I toss all my change into it. I emptied it out 4 years ago and had $600.00 then I started again. It now has about 5 inches of assorted change in it.

Patti said...

MB: now that's a coin jar!