Thursday, September 27, 2007

She can see clearly now, I hope

Yesterday I took my mother to have cataract surgery. She seems to have come through it all with flying colors. She was one of six women the doctor performed similar surgery on yesterday, one after the other. Sort of a surgical assembly line...
I recognized one of the women, a former neighbor, and met her son in the waiting room.

My mother didn't mention anything about pain, thankfully. No doubt the worst part was the fasting that goes along with getting ready for such a procedure. And the waiting around.
Now she has two kinds of eye drops to use for a while.

She got a good report from the doctor this morning after he examined the eye and now he wants to take care of the other one in a few weeks.
Her response? "Can't we wait?"

8 comments:

Lynn said...

My mother had cataract surgery done in both eyes. They made her wait a while until they, and she, was/were sure that everything was allright with the eye that they did. Of course, this was a few years ago, and maybe the surgery is perfected even more now, and they don't feel that there is a medical reason to wait. However, if your mother isn't up to having the other eye done quite so soon, I would think that it would be fine for her to wait.

Patti said...

Lynn: She basically wants no part of doctors, so this was a major coup for me. I nagged her into it.
She drives, and I certainly want her to have good vision.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

sarge has been so happy since his surgery, he has 20/15 vision now, no glasses... he also says colors are so much brighter.

smiles, bee

sari said...

My grandma had this surgery and seems to have done very well with it. I, personally, can't think of anything worse than actually having my eyes operated on - yikes!!

I hope everything goes well with the healing process and she can get the other eye taken care of soon.

:-)

the moose buyer said...

I had it 5 years ago on my right eye and it was very easy. I can see 100% clearly out of that eye now but I still have to wear glasses for my left eye so the right lense is just plain glass. I think your mom will be very happy.

Patti said...

Bee, Sari, Moosie: thank you all for your support

Odat said...

Bless Mom...and I'll say a prayer the other eye gets done with no problems...
Peace

Patti said...

Odat: thank you so much