Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Sepia Scenes

This is the Second Congregational Church in Derby, Ct. It lost its steeple when Hurricane Gloria blew through southern Connecticut in 1985. I thought the old edifice would work well in sepia tones. I like the way the lamp post stands out on a cloudy afternoon. I took this during Derby Day, a street festival, which explains the tents in the foreground.

(Many thanks to Mo at Purrchance to Dream for giving our meme hostess Mary T this pretty badge featuring a photo of his Daphne for use by Sepia Scenes participants)

To see many more sepia-fied pictures, visit Mary at Sepia Scenes.

11 comments:

Carletta said...

I really the lamp post as well Patti. I think it probably works better in sepia than in color.
The church looks a little lonely without its steeple. Almost 25 years later it doesn't seem there are any plans to restore it.

My post is here: Carletta’s Captures.

James said...

Very interesting church and I agree the light look really good. I like this picture and would like to see it without sepia too.

Karen said...

Very nice photo! I like the lamp post too.
http://www.ageorgiaangel.com/blog/?p=1040

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I like this photo in sepia. I like the lamp post but I also like the flag. I remember Gloria but I was in Ma.

kayerj said...

I like the brightness of the lamp post as well, the church looks a little forlorn without it's steeple. Hope you can stop by to see my sepia scene and window views Thanks!

Mimi Lenox said...

Beautifully done, Miss Princess.

EG CameraGirl said...

I think old churches look great in sepia tones. Too bad about the steeple!

Melli said...

You can not go wrong with an old church in sepia! It looks so sad without it's steeple though...

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Looks strange without the steeple...

But still a wonderful picture.

maryt/theteach said...

Patti, I thought something was missing when I first look at the pic. Then you said the steeple and I couldn't believe it! Wow! Great speia photo! :)

Linda said...

Makes one wonder why they never rebuilt the steeple? I'm truly surprised that more churches didn't lost their steeples not just in Gloria but in some of the other historic hurricanes that have passed through CT.