Wednesday, May 13, 2009

An amazing man inspires many at school event

He's spirited and full of good humor. Yet he has had to overcome so much in his life. He's a professional educator, and a motivational speaker. He certainly inspires those who hear him.

John spoke at a recent high school human relations club conference that I covered for my job. Ralph was there with me.
We were impressed and inspired by John, who was born with rather glaring physical disabilities. The braces on his legs click and clack as he walks. His hands are deformed. I shook his wrist when he held out his hand to introduce himself.

He says he has spent most of his life trying to make those around him more comfortable. He started speaking in public about his journey, his struggle, when he was in the sixth grade, he told us.
He has a brilliant mind, a twinkle in his eye and an infectious smile.

Stare? Yes, people always stare at him. And they have stared for his more than 40 years of life, he says. Could we infer from that that he is used to it? Would you get used to it?

He joked that his own children, ages 10 and 12, also stare at disabled or other "different-looking" people when they are out in public.
Human nature, I guess.

We went to a workshop he led in a classroom after the conference. We got to know him a little better. He is amazing, for sure.
He left us with a renewed feeling that, by drawing on our inner strength, anything we want to achieve in life is attainable.

4 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

that's a wonderful story!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Nice that you got to spend the extra time with him

OH and Thank you for the award...I have been out of action the last two days, but I did post it on Tuesday

Linda said...

He sounds like a very inspiring man but he's right, people do tend to stare and I would be willing to bet they didn't even know they were doing it at the time.

Jim said...

Congratulations on the award. I have been looking at the Wednesday Window view but haven't decided to do it yet. I ration my blogging time.
I think you ration yours too, I see you didn't do a Sky Looking or Watching today. That is okay I think.
I did enjoy Ralph's, I have never been to Cape Cod.
..