Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A bit of local history seen on an historic day

After covering a story yesterday about a group of schoolchildren watching the inauguration with the school superintendent, I stepped outside and was thrown back in time, figuratively speaking.

Fortunately I had my camera with me, and got a shot of the stately Derby United Methodist Church, snow and all, which is the oldest of the three churches that grace the historic Derby (Ct.) Green.

The church was dedicated in 1837, and if you click here you'll see it originally looked more like a typical New England Congregational Church. Derby actually has two white Congregational Churches in just 5.4 square miles, and we belong to First Congregational Church, which I posted about here.

I thought I'd give the photo an old-fashioned look using sepia:

I hope this history lesson was enlightening. Short and sweet, yes?

6 comments:

Catherine said...

Cette église me rappelle celle-ci qui se trouve dans notre quartier.
Je prefère celle où vous pratiquez (article d'octobre) qui paraît plus acceuillante.

Dianne said...

beautiful in sepia!

so you watched the future and captured the past - it was a good day :)

Patti said...

Bonjour Catherine,
Merci pour votre commentaire. J'aime beaucoup "notre" eglise/

Dianne, Merci aussi. Yes, I watched the future and captured the past and thought about both.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Super shot...would love to take it into photoshop and remove the telephone wires...

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

you know the old churches are so lovely...

smiles, bee
oxoxoxoxxoxoxoxo

Linda said...

Ah, if I could only learn to be short and sweet when it comes to my history posts!

This was lovely and the pictures are great!!