Saturday, April 18, 2009

A bit o' fun, frolic and fresh air

Yesterday Ralph and I decided to do something out of the ordinary for us and visit nearby Bradley Point Park in West Haven, Ct. We hadn't been there in years.

I checked the history of the park and learned that it "marks the area where invading British troops landed on July 5, 1779," according to the city's Web site.


The park offers some pretty scenery and views of the Sound and New Haven Harbor.
I sneakily snapped a photo of Ralph enjoying the view.

It was a lovely spring day and we certainly weren't alone there, but I tried to wait until people passed by before I took my photos.


This is the Vietnam War Memorial, which wasn't even there last time we visited. It lists all those from West Haven who fought in Vietnam.

Below is a memorial to all those from West Haven who served in the Korean War. It also was not there last time we visited.


Ralph said this photo looks like I took it from his perspective. I guess he's right. I was just trying to do something different.

This gazebo is right along the water behind the famous Savin Rock, once the focal point of a vibrant amusement park.
The area started being developed in the late 19th century, and featured all kinds of old-fashioned "amusements," from roller coasters to a water park to a carousel (my father used to call them "flying horses") and a car-racing track.
I neglected to photograph the "Rock," which is quite large, but I shall next time...

Hope you enjoyed your tour of part of southern Connecticut's shoreline.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Yes, I enjoyed my tour very much - thank you! It looks like a very nice place with all the memorials, et al though I would like to have seen it when it was an amusement area, too.

We did finally have some gorgeous weather yesterday, didn't we? Glad you and Ralph had a chance to get out and enjoy it!

Michele said...

Well, that is quite an interesting post. I learned a little about American history which is always a good thing. What a beautiful tribute area... and I'm glad you had the nice weather to do such an outing.
Your pictures are really beautiful!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

lovely place, i didn't know about the viet nam wall for ct! how lovely that they did that! i will never forget the first time we saw the one in washington. it was at daybreak and we had driven at night, walked down to the center without looking up really, tired, groggy, then all of a sudden the sun came out and we were down at the center and turned to look and all of us burst out crying. i think that memorial is the greatest it could have ever been and is a wonderful tribute to our fallen soldiers from that dreadful "police action". have a lovely sunday honey!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Dianne said...

great photos
glad you had such a nice day

RA said...

Beautiful place! Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos with their interesting information. Have a great week, Patti :)