Monday, April 14, 2008

Weepy

Yesterday we took Kid Two to a final presentation for those who have been accepted at the University of Hartford but have not yet decided on the school.
As an aside, his parents love it there.
We got to see our Kid One, a sophomore, for only about 10 minutes. She had things to do and people to see. They were having an election at the student-run TV station and she was a candidate.

When our son left with the students-only tour, I got teary. It was easier when our daughter went, because Kid Two still had two more years of high school left.

During the presentation for parents, I got weepy. Several times. And there was a lump in my throat as I tried to say something to Ralph.

I got over it, for now.
Soon we will have the prom, class trips and graduation -- all the milestones that signal the end of his high school career. And that signal his mother to start weeping again.

Change is an easy concept to grasp, but it can be a tough one to live.

10 comments:

Christy said...

It sounds like your kids are excelling and doing well. It would make me weepy, too, but also very proud. =o)

Mimi Lenox said...

I agree with Christy. You have awesome kids but I understand about the weepy part too.

Linda said...

Oh dear, is this what I'm going to have to look forward to? I'd best stock up on tissues now!

Lynn said...

Oh man...I can't even begin to imagine. I will tell you that I remember sitting in the parking lot of the local high school, waiting for Sport to have basketball practice, on the day of graduation...and I sat there crying. (Elle was in 5th grade and Sport was in 2nd grade at the time.) Had I been there with you, we could have been weepy together. With your Kid 2 starting college and my Elle entering H.S. and Sport entering M.S. in the fall, I would suggest buying stock in tissues.

sari said...

I get weepy and my oldest is only nine!!

Michael C said...

Lucy and Ethel have one more month of Kindergarten. I look at them daily and the small women they have become and get teary a lot. I can't imagine how I'll handle it when I end up where you are now...

Sarah Caron said...

Weepy! That's a good thing!

It means that you are human and a mommy who cares . . . it's natural and good.

Patti said...

Christy and Mimi: Yes, I'm proud and weepy at the same time!

Linda: Yes, you had better stock up.

Lynn: It all goes quickly, for sure.

Sari: Nine is like the perfect age! I miss it.

Michael: Just enjoy them, but I know that you do.

Sarah: thanks for the moral support. ;-)

Odat said...

Awww...that's cute!
I'm sure you're going to miss him if he goes but he'll be close by....
Peace

Patti said...

Odat: I like the fact it's close -- like 48 miles