Monday, April 7, 2008

Still able to get around

I've been wanting to be sillier than usual lately to take my mind off stuff, such as physical pain. My knees bother me and as of last night, my left shoulder hurts.
I think it's tendinitis, since I had that back in the 80s on my upper arm (aerobics induced, no doubt) and know what it feels like.
Today I took my mother to today's neighborhood drugstore, CVS. It hurt to turn the steering wheel to the left, so I tried to just make right-hand turns. That was a challenge.

We shuffled into the store (she was the lucky one with a cane) and immediately headed for the ointments and rubs aisle.
You know how it is when all you want is some magic ointment to ease the pain? A special potion, money no object?
That's what we both seemed to need.
We looked and looked, and decided we each would try something different. Then we can report back, and recommend remedies, or not.

I bought a box of 40 adhesive patches (variations of which have been popular in Japan since the 18th century, says the label) that smell like camphor and menthol (sexy!) and my mother got some cold/hot cream to spread on some part of her anatomy.
We took so long looking at the boxes and tubes and patches full of possibilities that we got giggly. Punchy, actually.

We needed to laugh, I think. In my book it's good to be silly. Laughter does indeed seem to be the best medicine.

P.S. Now I'm thinking after writing this that some may think it's ludicrous for me to complain, seeing as I have a husband who uses a wheelchair. But he doesn't mind my complaining, he says.

6 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

pain is sure no fun and getting old is not for sissies!!!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoox

Mimi Lenox said...

I'm sorry you're feeling poorly Princess Patricia. Do you have a servant or two who could give you a nice royal massage? Maybe some tea leaves over your eyes? Feeding you grapes? Fanning you with one of those fluffy pink things and singing Dean Martin in your ear?

Well.....you ARE royalty ya know.

Casdok said...

Your right about laughter!
Will be interested to hear how each one worked. Pain is not much fun.

Linda said...

Did the adhesive patches work? I have been having some major achy shoulders lately and am just not sure whether it's arthritis or perhaps carpal tunnel acting up again.

And you can bet I took it easy with that rake today - didn't want to overdo it and pay the price for two days following!

Patti said...

Bee: No, it's not fun. ;-)

Mimi: No servants, sadly

Casdok: Laughing always helps.

Linda: So far the patches haven't helped. But they haven't hurt, either.

Michele said...

Aww... it's funny how we look at life like that and wonder why we complain about our ouchies when we view the struggles of those that have to deal with struggles on a daily basis. I, as well have done that with my epilepsy. Each time I have a seizure and after I lay there I get mad and I feel sorry for myself for the pain in every muscle because I cannot move for hours from all that spasms from that seizure and the fact that I bit my tongue almost right through. I cry because I take all these medicines that make me forget things daily and I have to write things down all the time. But it's true, I can walk down the rocky path by the babbling brook, I can hear the birds singing in the morning time, I can see the colors of the rainbow, I can fish the blue lakes in the mountains and still we are human, we do hurt and it's ok as long as we pick ourselves up and remember those that are less fortunate and you both did. It is tough sometimes when the pain is there.
I really hope some of those remedies work for you both. Even at my age I'm starting to feel the pain of arthritis in my fingers. Not good at I love to draw. Advil and I have become best friends. =)
(Hugs)