Saturday, April 19, 2008

Shot heard 'round the world, re-enacted

"Listen my children and you shall hear
Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere,

On the
eighteenth of April, in Seventy-five;
Hardly a man is now alive

Who remembers that famous day and year."


Opening lines of the poem, "Paul Revere's Ride," by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

Today Ralph and I went to a re-enactment of what happened on the morning of April 19, 1775, when British soldiers (Redcoats) marched into Lexington, Mass. and the first shot of the Revolutionary War was fired on the Lexington Green. Paul Revere had announced the arrival of the British the night before, on his legendary horseback ride from Boston to Lexington.

The re-enactment was held on the picturesque Green in Milford, Ct.
A friend of mine, Christine, had told me about the event or else I would not have known about it. She is a docent at the Derby Historical Society, and was one of the women in colonial garb tending to the "fallen."
There were a lot of people there so it was hard to get photos without the "tourists" in them. Of course we were "tourists" too, so I guess I shouldn't complain!

Here's Christine chatting with Ralph about how in Colonial times the city of Derby, Ct. was pronounced "Darby." She told me she makes her own colonial costumes. That kind of sewing ability amazes me. I have no patience for that kind of work, safe to say.

The whole event lasted less than a half hour, but it was fun to get out on a beautiful spring morning and do something out of the ordinary.

~
On our way back to the van, I spotted this duck sunning himself at the Milford Duck Pond. He looks like he was enjoying the warm weather as well.


6 comments:

Odat said...

Oh nooo...the British are coming..the British are coming.....hehe.
How cool that you got to see that....oh and I love that shot of the duck on the post...I love when I see birds sitting on top of poles, all by themselves....wonder what they're thinking???? ;-)
Peace

Michele said...

Wow, it looks like awesome weather. It snowed like the "dickens" here. LOL.
The colors of the costumes and all were nice and it looked like a great day. And the duck sitting up there on the post, how cute!
Have a nice weekend, you two!
~Michele~

Mimi Lenox said...

Great shots, Patti. It looked like a picture perfect day for a Princess and her Prince.

Linda said...

Now this looks like something that I would totally enjoy what with being a history buff of sorts and all. I've got no patience for that kind of sewing myself so I guess I'll never be a re-enactor of any sort!

Glad you got to enjoy the nice Spring weather - I spent most of it cooped up in a dispatch center!

Lynn said...

I know that poem...only my father taught it to me with different words having to do with bodily functions. Loved the photos.

Patti said...

Odat: I doubt they are thinkin' much

Michele: It was fun.

Mimi: It was a good time for us royals, except when the Colonists shot at us.

Linda: I thought of you when we were there! You would have loved it.

Lynn: Thanks - and what were the words you learned?