Saturday, April 5, 2008

Lovely service for an inspiring woman

Last Saturday I accompanied our pastor to an out-of-state memorial service for the mother of a lovely woman who is a member of our church.
This woman had given us frequent updates about her mother's condition, and we prayed for her as a congregation.

Analu had come to the United States from South America in the 1950s, a single mother of four.
At the service, I met her other children, and observed her grandchildren and great-grandchildren celebrating her life. After our pastor performed the first part of the ceremony, a priest officiated and spoke only in Spanish.

I had never met Analu, but it was clear from her children's loving tributes that she was a strong woman who sacrificed all so that they would have a better future.

I couldn't help but put myself in her shoes, and wonder if I would have been as courageous to do what she did in coming to this country as a single mother to start her life anew.

8 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

wow that sounds so courageous...

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoox

Michele said...

I can imagine coming to a new country as a single mom and not being able to speak the language must've been very difficult... I really have respect for someone like that... WOW... great post, Patti. It opens our eyes a bit to our own struggles that we deal with day to day, doesn't it?

Linda said...

That had to have taken a lot of courage and faith to come to a foreign country as a single mother. May she rest in peace.

Casdok said...

Very courageous, and inspiring. So much love.

Patti said...

I wanted to clarify that our pastor is a woman, in case anyone thought it was odd..

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

One never knows the ripple effects of life and death. I ended up joining my current church largely because of a memorial service I had attended there.

Patti said...

Pawlie: You just never know, do you? Expect the unexpected, I guess.

Casdok: Yes, a lot of love.

Linda: Very courageous. I cannot imagine.

Michele: I agree, very difficult!

Bee: I was impressed!

Mimi Lenox said...

She sounds like an amazing person. Thanks for telling us about her. My sympathies to her family.