Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Horrific story recounted

On Sunday I went to a book reading at a small bookstore that just opened last year. I had never been there before, but now plan to return. It was a friendly place.
The author, Connecticut resident Martin Schiller, is a Holocaust survivor who wrote of his horrific boyhood memories of living in concentration camps.

"Bread, Butter and Sugar" is the story of the sheer cruelty Schiller witnessed, and somehow survived.
"Writing that book was an emotional roller coaster," Schiller told the audience of about 60 people. "I discovered it was impossible for me to write in the first person, so I wrote in the third person."

For the reading, however, he shifted back to first-person narration. He read a chapter, "The Train Ride," which was a gripping tale of being "sardined" with other Jews into a cattle car and taken to Buchenwald, a concentration camp in Germany.

One woman asked him if he had been "emotionally scarred."
Schiller replied: "I still wake up with nightmares. Traumatic situations may diminish with time, but they never go away."

When the camp was liberated, Schiller was 12. "I was emaciated," he said. "I was only 48 pounds. I almost died."

Now 75, Schiller is a retired electrical engineer. He and his wife of almost 50 years raised three children. When he returned to Buchenwald in 2004 with several family members it was cathartic for him, he said.

Another audience member asked him if he experienced "survivor's guilt."
Schiller replied, "Absolutely. But I turned that into obligation. That's why I'm here."

8 comments:

Casdok said...

As you say horrific but fasinating.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Linda said...

I would delete that comment above mine just in case it's another one of those virus things ...

This had to be quite the interesting book reading. Did he say why it took him so long to write his story? Was he just holding it inside all these years? Was it the trip that finally released it?

Patti said...

Casdok: yes, a fascinating horror

Linda: deleted! thanks ~

You have some very good questions. I would guess that the trip in 2004 released a lot of memories buried deep inside.

Odat said...

Wow...did you get to speak to him?
Peace

Patti said...

Odat: no, I didn't. He was a lovely man, though.
There was a long line of people waiting to have their book signed..

sari said...

I'm reading The Diary of Anne Frank again right now, it's really unbelievable the things that happened.

Mimi Lenox said...

Elie Wiesel is my favorite writer. His work changed my perception of the world.
I wish I could have been with you here today. I'm sure it was moving.
..The Holocaust is still - to most of us - an incomprehensible event.