Friday, January 6, 2012

The ups and downs of daily newspapering

So...two days ago I interviewed a 91-year old World War II veteran. He served in Alaska in 1942-43 in what has been called "The Forgotten War," and in Ie Shima, an island off of Okinawa, after that.
I thought he was going to tell me about his war experiences, but he told me so much more. He has had an interesting life, and I hope the article I wrote (that has not yet been published) does him justice.    
 
Yesterday I covered the sentencing of a man who drove drunk and struck a local police officer, who was a Vietnam veteran and beloved member of the force, as he was directing traffic. The officer died several days later from his injuries.
A dozen of his fellow police officers showed up in the courtroom to witness the sentencing. It was an extremely sad story and not the kind I normally cover.


Today I made up for dealing with a story about such a tragedy by writing about an 85th birthday party. It was an open house for a wonderful woman who used to run a downtown luncheonette.
People from all walks of life turned out to honor her. I quickly learned she was beloved by many, many people who got to know her over the 19 years she ran the restaurant.


It was wonderful to see all the love being bestowed on her from family and friends. Although she had no children of her own, she treated the young people who used to frequent her place after school as her own kids, the now-middle-aged partygoers told me.
"When Millie yelled, you listened," one woman recalled fondly.

Today I also interviewed a woman who grew up on a farm. She has opened an old-style general store that sells antiques and will carry only Connecticut-made and Connecticut-grown foods, from ice cream, maple syrup and organic bread to fresh produce in season.
She will be serving light meals on weekends and live music will also be performed there on occasion. It's a lovely spot and I'm sure she will succeed in her new venture. I plan to return there soon with Ralph. Sounds like fun.

So that's my world as of now...thanks for reading. 

1 comment:

Linda said...

The great thing about your job is that there's no "same old, same old" about it. Every day it's something new and different and sometimes probably even exciting. It's probably a lot more exciting than being stuck behind a dispatch console for 16 hours at a stretch!

And look at all the interesting people you get to meet! Ah, the stories you'll be able to tell your grandchildren!