Sunday, January 4, 2009

Having fun is good

Yesterday we did something out of the ordinary, and had fun. Yay fun!!

We drove our daughter (Kid One), our son (Kid Two), and Kid One's cute boyfriend to the University of Hartford, where coincidentally they are all students. And even more coincidentally, where they are all members of the pep band.
Unfortunately I forgot the camera. (insert sad face)

We watched the men's basketball team defeat the University of Albany, 64-54.
Since Ralph uses a wheelchair, we sat at a table on the floor, right behind the basket, and right in front of the pep band.
The ball came right toward us a couple of times, but we didn't get hit in the head or anything. We came back in one piece.

Since it is winter break, the band had just a small group of dedicated members who showed up to play. Unfortunately the bass drum player was not among them. But they sounded great!

On the way home we stopped at the Olympia Diner, which has been on the Berlin Turnpike in Newington, Ct. since the early '50s. Retro, baby!

Everyone was pretty hungry at that point, and we enjoyed our diner food and our conversation. I spilled half 'n half on myself, which amused my companions. Guess you can't take me anywhere.

When we got back, the boyfriend still had to drive another hour home to NY. Our house is conveniently located half-way between his home and college. Such luck, for all concerned. Am I right, Allegra? ;-)
I know I am.

4 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

sounds like a wonderful day!!!

smiles, bee
xxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Queen-Size funny bone said...

Ilove that diner. good down home food.

Linda said...

You FORGOT the camera??

I hate it when I do that and then find myself thinking, "darn, wish I had brought my camera with me!" At least I've got a camera on my cellphone should I need it but it's just not the same.

With or without pictures it sounds like a wonderful afternoon/evening and I can just picture your smile and laugh as you doused yourself with half-and-half!

We most definitely need to get together again soon. Perhaps there's someplace in between here and there that we can meet at if nothing else? Know of any other cool old diners??

RW said...

I glad you got and had some fun! A good time had by all sounds like! :D