Monday, March 2, 2009

Raising awareness is always good

She who hesitates is lost, or something like that.
Recently I covered a fund-raising event in which volunteers raised bail after agreeing to be "locked up" for an hour.
It was run by a local chapter of the Muscular Dystrophy Association in Connecticut. I almost posted about the MDA lockup, but decided against it. Some 38 jailbirds took part.
Today my friend and fellow Connecticut resident, Duchess Linda, wrote a truly moving post about a friend of hers who was diagnosed last fall with Multiple Sclerosis. I urge you to read it.

Her friend is clearly an amazing woman, raising four sons while battling a horribly debilitating disease. I have a friend who has had MS for more than 30 years, and I've seen how the various symptoms come and go, from mild to severe, often without warning.

Linda inspired me to post something about the MDA event (click here for story). I hope the newspaper story as well as this post will teach people a bit about Muscular Dystrophy. Those who know me know that Ralph is afflicted with a form of MD. I usually don't about him and his battle with the progressive disease, but I really should take the time to mention it, and do what I can to help raise awareness.

5 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

one of sarge's daughters has md too.

smiles, bee
xxoxoxooxoxoxxoxo

Linda said...

I'm glad I served as an inspiration as I've got to say that Renee is truly an inspiration with the way she's been handling her MS. She's got her good days and her bad days but you'd never know it based on her attitude and positive outlook!

I'm heading over to read your article about MD now. Raising awareness is always a good thing as it's easy for those of us who don't suffer from a debilitating disease to forget how badly one can affect others lives. Definitely gives you pause to stop and count your own blessings, doesn't it?

RA said...

I have read a lot of courageous stories on the struggle against certain diseases... Diseases which I even didn't know were there. Thank you for posting about MS. It is important to raise people's awareness on this matter. Best wishes :)

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Raising awareness about this and other illnesses is VERY important...

maryt/theteach said...

Patti, I care about both you and Ralph very much! :)