Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Hoping to raise awareness

Last week I covered a Paczki-eating contest held each year on Fat Tuesday at a local bakery. But that's not what this post is about.

One of the 16 contestants (he didn't win even after downing eight of the huge, deep-fried filled pastries) is the father of a little girl who died in November 2007.
He and his teen-aged son and several friends formed "Team Sydney." They were all clad in blue T-shirts featuring adorable photos of Sydney. They were competing in her memory, and as a way to raise awareness of neuroblastoma.
Sydney died at the tender age of 7 after a courageous battle with the rare form of cancer that affects infants and young children. She was diagnosed with the disease when she was 4.

I've met this wonderful family through my job and my heart goes out to them. I hope that, like my previous post about Multiple Sclerosis and Muscular Dystrophy, my writing this will help to raise awareness of a dread disease.

3 comments:

Dianne said...

I went back to catch up on you. Good work Lady!

Joan said...

What a wonderful way to honor Sydney's memory and to raise awareness of such a terrible childhood disease.

Linda said...

Sydney must be looking down from heaven and smiling while watching that contest! What a marvelous way for her family to remember her and to make others aware of such a horrible disease.

And yay to you for raising awareness!!!