Thursday, November 11, 2010

A tribute to veterans


I have been taking photos of our Stars and Stripes lately. I spotted this flag flying above a school in our neighborhood last week as the sun was setting.

I took the photo below of a torn American flag that flies from a highway overpass. It was published in the newspaper today, with information about where to properly dispose of tattered flags.
A member of the American Legion did not know who had put the flag there. It clearly needs to be taken down and disposed of properly.
There is a second, slightly less tattered flag attached to the railing on the other side of the overpass. One veteran I spoke to surmised that the flags could have been put there after Sept. 11, 2001.


Today, on Veterans Day, I am deeply grateful to all veterans and I thank them for their service and their sacrifice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do wish someone would replace the flags. My neighbor certainly would. He can not stand to see a tattered or torn flag. He's been known to knock on people's doors.

Big hugs :]

EG CameraGirl said...

Perfect post for Veterans Day, Patti!

Linda said...

You got a picture published in the paper? Wow! Impressive! Pretty soon it will be Princess Patti, Ace Reporter and Photographer Extraordinaire!