Friday, May 30, 2008

Role-playing

Wife, mother, daughter...daughter, daughter... DAUGHTER.

Between writing stories for work and trying to help my mother with looking at houses and now getting ready to buy one (we are signing an offer to purchase and giving an initial deposit tomorrow-yippee!!) I am tired. Really tired. So I haven't felt like blogging much these days. I feel worn out.
And I fear that the three other people in this house haven't been seeing much of me lately. Or I haven't been seeing much of them. Or something like that.
I think I take pretty good care of the cats. Haven't heard any complaints.

* * *

On top of all this stuff, a wonderful man and World War II veteran of the Army Air Corps who I have gotten to know in recent years was tragically killed Sunday in a two-car collision . It was just a short while after our local Memorial Day Parade, on a glorious Sunday afternoon. John was alone, and he was behind the wheel when his new car was broadsided.
Many have said that it was ironic the accident happened on the long holiday weekend, since he was such a patriotic soul. He was active in both the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars. He was a friend to all.
I feel terrible about it. He was a widower, and his only child, a daughter, died of cancer about eight years ago.
He is survived by two granddaughters.
I helped with the story for the newspaper and went to the wake yesterday. There I saw his veteran buddies, all in uniform, who had gathered for a short service at the funeral home. Most of them are his contemporaries, or a bit younger, which made it so sad. One of them, one of his best friends, grabbed my hand and said to me as they were filing out: "I can't imagine what it is going to be like without him."
Me neither.

5 comments:

Michael C said...

That is very sad. my grandfather goes to War reunions monthly, but sadly, there are less and less with each passing month. We are losing some of our national heroes and there is so much we never got to hear them say or that we learned about their experiences...

Odat said...

Well, I'm happy to see that your Mom is getting a new home.....but sad to hear about the death of another vet.....I'm so sorry.
Peace

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

just tragic!! so sorry to hear that.

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxooxxo

Linda said...

First off, I am so very sorry to hear about the tragic death of your friend and one of our country's finest. That is just so sad and to have happened on Memorial Day weekend is even sadder. May he rest in peace and enjoy the rewards that he has surely earned in heaven.

Second, I'm glad to hear that your mother is getting a new house and I bet she's even happier about it!

Third, you need to take some time for you and not wear yourself down being wife, mother, and especially daughter. I know that's easier said than done but life has a way of overwhelming us sometimes when we let it get out control and it sounds like yours has been giving you a real run for your money lately.

Declare a Princess Patti Private Day (or barring that at least a few hours) and just do some things for you rather than for anyone else. I think that Ralph, the kids, the cats, and your mom would understand.

Big hug to you!! From Boston at the moment via Mags' computer!

The Curmudgeon said...

I've also been whipsawed between the roles of child and parent.

It's hard to do both well.

Your story of John's wake is quite good -- the detail of his buddy grabbing your hand as he and the other vets were filing out got me.